On rainy monsoon evenings as kids while my sister , brother and myself would be playing out in the streets jumping in puddles of water , mom would be busy in the kitchen making these yummy Bread Aloo bondas. After calling us multiple times to get home and warning us not to spoil our clothes with mud and rainy water , the only thing which would make us come home was these crispy yummy fritters. I still enjoy these with a cup of hot Masala Chai. This is moms recipe and she made this while I am in India .
Bread Aloo Bonda /Fritters
12 to 14 Sandwich Bread Slices
Oil for Deep frying
- 1 lb Potatoes ( Boiled and mashed slightly )
- 1 bunch Fenugreek leaves washed & chopped
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 green chilies finely chopped ( use more or less depending on how spicy u want )
- 1 tsp Ginger and Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard & Cumin seeds for Tempering
- 2 Dry Red Chilies
- Salt as Needed
- 15 Cashew nuts
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Take a pan and heat it on a medium flame and add 3 tbsp oil .Once the oil is heated add mustard seeds , cumin seeds ,red chilies ,green chilies and fenugreek leaves and saute for few mins until leaves are completely wilted and cooked.
- Now add the chopped onion and saute for few more mins until translucent. Add Ginger and garlic paste,green peas ,all the dry powders, and cashews and saute for few mins.
- Finally add Boiled /mashed Potatoes,Cilantro leaves and salt & mix everything until completely incorporated. Potato filling is ready.
- Wait for few mins for the potato mixture to cool down to room temperature. Take a bread slice and sprinkle some water so the bread becomes lightly soft.
- Take the slice into the palm of your hand and squeeze out any excess water and place a small ball of the potato mixture in the middle.
- Now close the potato mixture with the bread until the edges are completely sealed . Make sure the potato mixture does not come out ,otherwise while frying the whole thing will come apart.
- Take some oil in a frying pan & heat it on a medium flame. Slowly drop these bread bondas 2 at a time and deep fry them until golden brown.
- Serve them piping hot with some tomato ketchup.