When I moved to the U.S my first Meal (outside) was at Baja Fresh Mexican Grill. I never ate Mexican food until then. I ordered tacos with grilled chicken which reminded me of something i ate in India called Frankie/Kati Roll. Frankie is a famous street food made with any kind of flavored meat , Veggies or Panner wrapped or rolled in a Roti . This inspired me to make Tacos with Indian flavor /spicy chicken. I love the smokey. spicy flavor of grilled chicken and the fresh ingredients /toppings.
Chicken Tikka Tacos
2 lbs Boneless Chicken pieces cut into bite size cubes
Marinade for the Chicken
3 Tbsp Thick Yogurt
3 Tbsp Tomato paste
1 Tbsp Ginger & Garlic Paste
1&1/2 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder ( use more if u like it spicy)
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
½ Tsp Cumin powder
1 Tsp Chaat Masala
1/2 Tsp Turmeric
Salt as per taste
2Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1 tsp Dried Mint
½ Tsp Salt
1 Onion Chopped
1 Tomato (seeds scooped out & chopped)
1 Avocado (Chopped )
Cilantro ( Chopped) & Lime wedges
8 Soft Tacos
• Wash the chicken pieces and pat them dry.
• Add all the marinade ingredients to the chicken and set aside for 4-6hrs or overnight.
• Soak 4-5 wooden Skewers in water for 5mins. Now arrange the chicken pieces to the Skewers and set them on a baking sheet.
• Preheat the Oven to 400*F. Bake the Chicken skewers for 20mins .Turn them once in b/w at 10mins.
• After 20 mins turn the Oven Setting to Broil and set it for 5-7mins to get a charred look.
• Mix the sour cream with Salt and dried Mint
• Warm the tacos lightly in a skillet .Spread a layer of sour cream mixture on the tacos followed by chicken pieces. Now add the Toppings & squeeze lime juice. Serve them immediately while they are warm.
Notes – For Vegetarian option you can use Panneer instead of Chicken but iam not sure of the baking time.
Thank you .