Thanksgiving is one of my favourite american holidays to celebrate and host. The meaning of being grateful and thankful ,getting together with family and friends and of course the food . Even though I don’t make all of the typical food ,i do make sure of making pies ( who doesn’t love pies 🙂 ) ,pumpkin ,pecan and apple , garlic mashed potatoes , stuffing and instead of turkey we make Whole Roast Chicken. Not everyone in my family eats turkey ,so instead i make whole roast chicken with lots of spices . Its super moist ,flavorful and the leftovers can be used to make sandwiches . Soo good. Recipe below. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.
Indian Spiced Whole Roast Masala Chicken
- One Whole Chicken
- 2.5 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder (or more depending on your spice level)
- 1.5 Tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Tsp Dried Mint
- 6 Tsp Melted Butter
- Salt as needed
- Around 4 potatoes cut up into 1 inch pieces
- Clean and wash whole chicken keeping the skin and make sure it leaves all the water. Pat dry with a towel . Make some cuts all over so you can stuff the masala paste.
- In a small bowl melt 6 tbsp butter and add ginger garlic paste , chilli powder , coriander powder , cumin powder , turmeric powder, dried mint , salt and garam masala . Mix into a smooth paste.
- Apply this spice paste to the whole chicken all over, including the legs ,thighs ,inside the cavity and under the skin . Tie the legs together with a string and tuck the wings underneath. Retain little paste for the potatoes and for brushing it later while its cooking.
- Leave it covered in a Big Bowl for at least 4 hrs in the fridge. Take it out an hr before cooking so it comes to Room temperature.
- Take a Roasting pan with rack. Cover pan with foil and add spiced potatoes at the bottom. Transfer the Marinated chicken onto the rack . Place the Roasted pan on the lower section in the Oven . Broil it for 1.15 hrs . Brush the masala paste in b/w making sure its moist.
- Once done cover the pan with a foil and let it rest for 15 mins.
- Slice it , squeeze some lemon juice and serve with side of the crispy roasted potatoes.
Thanks for stopping by .