Hi Friends. Its almost the end of winter and less than a week for Holi. Holi is a spring festival in India also known as festival of colors. It signifies the arrival of spring and celebrations usually involve gathering of friends and playing with colors , dance and relishing lots of food and drinks. I still miss the fun in india , but try to celebrate as much as i can here with my friends. One of the most popular drinks in North India served during Holi is Thandai. Its a refreshing drink made with nuts and spices and has a cooling effect on the body hence the name “thandai” . I never tried it back when i was living in India ,but now i make it every year around this time and it has become one of my favourite drink. Do try making it this holi . Recipe below.
- 1/2 gallon Whole milk
- 1 cup sugar ( less or more depending on how sweet you like it )
- 3 tbsps rose water
- Pinch of saffron soaked in 3tbsps warm milk
Ingredients to be soaked in 1/2 cup water
- 25 Almonds
- 25 Cashew nuts
- 15 Pistachios
- 1 tbsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 10 Peppercorns
- Soak the the required ingredients in 1/2 cup water for 30mins . Strain the water leaving a little / 2tbsps water and grind it to fine paste and set aside.
- Boil ½ gallon milk in a pot on medium heat for approx 5 mins ,stirring and making sure the bottom doesn’t stick to the pot . Switch off the flame and let it cool to room temperature. Add the paste and sugar to the milk and mix it until completely combined.
- Set aside in the refregirator for 2hrs so all the flavors are well incorporated.
- Strain the milk into a pitcher and discard the residue. Now add the rose water and saffron milk.
- Chill for an hr and then pour into serving glasses , garnished with crushed pistachios and almonds. Enjoy.
Thanks for stopping by .
3 thoughts on “Thandai”
Exotic, rich and delicious! Hard to stop with just one serving 😊
thandai was amazing.. but the presentation.. kyaa kehene!!!!
This drink is sooo delicious! Love it.